Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Whol-ey Grains!!!

I remember when I would go to the grocery store to get my ingredients for my delicious sandwiches, I would go by the bread section and pick the bread that looked the healthiest, which was often wheat bread.  I didn't bother to check the ingredients label, because I didn't think I had to. It was wheat bread, what's so bad about that?

But did you know that wheat bread is no better than white bread.  As a matter of fact, molasses are used to give wheat bread it's brown shade of color, so it's not "grains" like we are led to believe.  The truth is that these breads use enriched flours, these are flours that are altered, the healthy parts are removed because they reduce the shelf life of a bread.

The process of enriching happens when the bran and germ are removed from whole grains, leaving only the starchy endosperm as the main ingredient.  This gives bread a lighter texture and a longer shelf life, but of course it's less nutritionally dense.  The nutrients removed are eventually added again in smaller quantities to meet food standards, but it's just not natural.

What we need to look for is the word "Whole Grain" or "Whole Wheat" as the first ingredient in our bread label.  This ensures that we are getting a product that has not been altered.  With whole wheat or whole grain breads we are getting fiber, vitamins B6 and E, magnesium, zinc, folic acid and chromium.

And according to Vegetarian Times, in a 10-year Harvard study completed in 1994, men and women who ate high-fiber breads had fewer heart attacks and strokes than those whose tastes ran to bagels and baguettes.

So the benefits of whole grain or whole wheat breads are truly amazing.  These breads taste delicious and are a healthier choice.  Specially for people who love to make sandwiches, like myself!  I just find it amazing to know that our health can be improved by simple food choices.

I would love to share my Fabulous Diana Sandwich recipe with you all! I hope you like it!
Here is what you'll need:
  • Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread
  • Veganaise
  • Organic Mustard, Dijon Mustard
  • Lightlife Smart Deli Roast Turkey Deli Slices 
  • Veggies: (all organic) Romaine lettuce, Large tomato, Pickles, Alfalfa, Avocado, Purple Onion, Yellow Peppers (pepperoncinis) .
  • Galaxy Nutritional Foods Pepper Jack Vegan Cheese
  • You can add organic Ketchup if you like ketchup in your sandwich.
You can have an optional side of sweet potato fries with this sandwich... and now I'm hungry again!!

Hope you all enjoy this delicious vegan sandwich, see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment