Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Hello Summer Time!!!!

I love Summer, but during this time I don't really eat that much... that of course is not a good thing.  During Summer we specially need to stay hydrated and eat.  I think part of the reason why I don't really eat that much during Summer is because  I don't really feel like cooking that much when it's too hot.  The good thing is that during Summer we can make really simple and quick meals that taste delicious, are light, and are very low in calories!  Salads are excellent summer meals!  Don't just stick with Ranch dressing or Blue Cheese... EXPERIMENT!!

 I found this amazing sesame dressing from Feast from the East that I purchased at Costco that tastes superb!! I mix salad greens cut up a yellow mango or a tangerine, purple onion, add crunchy noodles or wontons, add shrimp or tuna and mix it all with a little bit of sesame dressing!! this is super easy to make and it tastes amazing!!  You can also make it with chicken or any other type of meat!


There are of course many other salads out there! We can add nuts and fruits to our salads to give them an extra kick, like walnuts, cashews, pecans, dried cranberries, strawberries, grapes, mango, and citrus fruits! There are so many variations that we can try, we just have to experiment with our ingredients!

To avoid all those extra calories, stay away from dairy based dressings like Ranch, Blue Cheese, Caesar and Thousand Island...yes, I know those are very delicious but they are also very high in calories.  Try Vinaigrettes instead or non-dairy based dressings, you might be surprised with the flavor of these dressings, they really are something else and they're very light! You can also make your own dressings if you are feeling bold.  you can use lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil or vegetable oil to make your own dressings!Try this!!  Blend avocado with olive oil and pumpkin seeds (pepitas), cilantro, lime/lemon juice and add a hint of garlic salt in your food processor or blender for a delicious avocado dressing!!

I hope you all have fun experimenting with salads during Summer, I know I will!

Happy Summer Everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment