Friday, June 22, 2012

The Secrets of Running!

What better way to exercise than to run? It's free and it's easy!!...EASY!!??? Yeah Right!!! Although running is supposed to be really "easy", I really struggle with it!  I always start the same way, very motivated and then I begin to run and then I begin to struggle with my breathing and before I know it I get this terrible side pain that makes me want to give up running all together.  I did some research and this side pain is known as a "Side Stitch", apparently it's very common with novice runners.  I've always thought to myself, if only I didn't get this terrible pain, I might actually be able to complete my run!  Well, I guess there are ways to not get the "side stitch" and now I am motivated to give running a chance once more!

After my reading from several sources I have found that they all conclude on simple steps to avoid these side stiches.  Here's what we need to do:

  • Let's stretch before we begin to run. We can stretch our sides by reaching up to the sky and holding, repeating on both sides.
  • Let's not just jump into running, lets begin by walking briskly, switching to a power walk and finally running.
  • Let's BREATHE the right way!! Personally I had been doing this the wrong way every time in the past and it's the most important part of our run, if we are not breathing the right way we are destined to end our run frustrated! The right way to breathe is through our belly, not our chest.  We need to fill our belly with air instead of our chest, so when we run our belly should be expanding and deflating instead of our chest!  Also, the "breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth" is a huge mistake I was making! We need to breathe in and out through our mouth and our nose, it's easier to use our belly to breathe when we breathe in through our mouth.
  • Let's check our form! We have to stand up straight and not slouch, I do this a lot too!! If we are leaning forward when we run, we need to lean back and keep our back straight, however for some runners it does help to lean forward a little bit, it's just a matter of experimenting.
  • Let's take sips of water rather than gulping down our water before or throughout our run.  We need to drink the most water once we are done with our run, but throughout it is best to take small sips to avoid dehydration.
  • If the side stitch does occur during our run, DON'T GIVE UP!!! We can do this!! A way to ease the pain is by slowing down, or walking for a bit, putting our hand under our ribcage where we feel the pain and focusing on our breathing.  Once the pain seizes, let's keep on running! Eventually we will strengthen our body and this will not happen anymore, but we have to keep going and be patient with ourselves!!
I really hope this helps all the novice runners out there that are frustrated with running like myself!  I am going to put these steps to the test and I am going to be patient with myself.  I often get discouraged when things don't work out the way I want them to, and when I see no results as immediately as I want them, I get even more discouraged.  But I really have to learn to change this terrible habit, because I will never see a change unless I do!

Good luck my dear readers! I hope you can show that run who's boss this time around!!

See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment